Threats and Vulnerabilities
What is a Threat vs. a Vulnerability?
A computer security threat is any circumstance or event with the potential to cause:
- Unauthorized loss, modification, or disclosure of information
- Damage to your computer or any part of the information technology system
Threat sources can be:
- Natural -Lightning, Fires, Hurricanes, Floods
- System - Poor building wiring, insufficient cooling for the systems
- Human - Unintentional threat - User error, cup of coffee by your keyboard, carelessness AND Intentional threat - A hacker, a disgruntled employee
A computer security vulnerability is a weakness in an information system and/or its components that could accidentally or intentionally allow the system to be compromised. This weakness allows a natural or human threat to cause serious damage.